Reading Rockets Launching Young Readers (paper) 6hrs
This series examines how children learn to read, why so many struggle, and how adults can help them. Each episode illustrates a stage of the reading process, incorporating the latest research as well as interviews with America’s top reading experts.
- Roots of Reading—Fred Rogers of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood examines the miracle of reading, one step at a time.
- Sounds and Symbols—focuses on the two skills every child needs to decode the printed word: phonemic awareness and phonics.
- Fluent Reading—explores another milestone in a young reader’s development: the ability to decode quickly and achieve fluency.
- Writing and Spelling—features successful methods for encouraging children to write in order to build their vocabulary and develop their spelling skills.
- Reading for Meaning—highlights effective comprehension strategies used across the country to help kids understand—and care about—what they read.
- Empowering Parents—shows parents and caregivers how to catch reading problems early, find the right kind of support, and identify good reading instruction.
- Becoming Bilingual—visits with children, parents, and teachers to find out what it takes to teach 6-year-olds fluent Spanish or Russian.
- Reading and the Brain
- A Chance to Read
- Reading Rocks—seeks to inspire children who are struggling to learn to read—along with their families and teachers.
- Integrating a Child Who Speaks a Different Language
COMPLETION DISCLAIMER: If you choose the paper coursework option, you will have to borrow the videos from your public library.
|CDA Subject Areas||
|Course Completion Method||
Lending Library/Paper Coursework
This course DOES NOT include the videos needed to complete the coursework. You will have to borrow them from your public library.